Books of F. L. Rowe, Publisher
Bruce's Blog 9-7-2015
On this Labor Day, I wanted to share a labor of love from F. L. Rowe, owner and publisher of the Christian Leader.
The most enduring legacy of Fred Rowe may have been his book publishing business. At Rowe's death, John Klingman stated that Rowe "has given to the world more than fifty valuable books." (CL 8-12-1947: 2). Klingman's estimate was low, especially if hymnals are included. This is an attempt to list the books published by F. L. Rowe. It is compiled from library catalogues, from advertisements appearing through the years in the Christian Leader, and compared to such works as Spencer's Author Catalogue of Disciple's of Christ.
Rowe's publishing was variegated. Not all the books pertain to religion. There are some books on medicine and some personal and family histories. Viewed topically, there are 18 books of Biblical studies; 12 books of sermon outlines; 12 debates; 11 hymnals, 7 histories; 6 books of prose and poetry; 5 books of Christian fiction; 4 biographies; 2 books of Christian evidences, and 2 books on missions. The other titles are assorted books of encouragement, reflection, and exhortation to Christian living. Some of the books are now very rare.
Rowe also re-published Restoration materials and materials that had been previously published in other places. Rowe stated, "The younger generation of the great household of faith have little knowledge of the vast amount of literature that has been left to them by the pioneers of the Restoration." (Rowe's preface in his reprint of Monser's Types and Metaphors of the Bible, 1). In addition to the books published, Rowe also printed a countless number of tracts aimed at evangelism, or dealing with various doctrinal issues.
1. History of Reformatory Movements - J. F. Rowe, 1889
2. Life and Times of J. F. Rowe - F. M. Green, 1899
3. Otey-Briney Debate, 1906
4. McVey-Hickman Debate, 1911
5. Elder True Recalled - William DeBet, 1904
6. The King's Highway; or the Story of the Truthseeker's club - M. D. Baumer, 1906
7. Trip Abroad - Don Carlos Janes, 1905
8. The Cedric Papers - Don Carlos Janes, 1906
9. History of the Plum Street Congregation - 1906
10. Russell-White Debate, 1908
11. Pioneer Sermons and Addresses - F. L. Rowe, compiler, 1908
12. From Idols to the Living God - J. M. McCaleb, 1908
13. The Mountain Evangelist - J. L. Davis, 1908
14. The Gospel Proclaimer, vol. 2 - E. S. B. Waldron, 1909
15. Harding-White Discussion, 1910
16. Moore-Noble Discussion, 1910
17. Outlines of Bible Study - G. Dallas Smith, 1911
18. Pearls of Truth - F. Hall, 1913
19. What is the New Testament Church? - Syrgley-Hall Discussion, ed. J. W. Shepherd, 1914
20. Luther on Baptism - John A. Klingman, 1913
21. The Devil and Socialism - W. F. Lemmons, 1914
22. Sermons, Reminiscences, and Silver Chimes - A. Ellmore, 1915
23. Poetic Considerations - Thad Hutson, 1915
24. The Bible in Questions and Answers - J. A. Klingman and F. L. Rowe, 1916
25. Sermon Outlines - A. J. Bachman, 1916
26. Church History for Busy People - G. A. Klingman, 1909, 3rd ed. 1928, CL Corp.
27. Murfreesboro Addresses - 1917
28. Fundamental Principles of the Gospel - J. F. Rowe, 1918 (ACR 1884)
29. Sermon Outlines - 1918
30. Our Savior's Prayer for Unity - 1918
31. The Maple Lectures - O. D. Maple, 1918
32. Sermons and Sayings - Alfred Ellmore, 1918
33. Valid Baptism - Adolph von Harless, 1918
34. Queries and Answers - Lipscomb and Sewell, Sheperd ed. 4th ed. 1918
35. Commentary on Romans - I. B. Grubbs, 1919
36. The Great Conflict - U. G. Wilkinson, 1919
37. ACC Lectures - 1919
38. ACC Bible Lectures, vol. 2 - 1920-21
39. ACC Bible Lectures, vol. 3 - 1922-23
40. Third Birth of a Nation - S. R. Cassius, (1920 1st edition, 1925 2nd edition)
41. Colley - Tyndall Debate, a synopsis, 1921
42. The Spirit of Christ - C. R. Rice & W.S. Long - 1924
43. Living Sermons, vol. 1 - 1925
44. Living Sermons, vol. 2 - 1926
45. Living Sermons, vol. 3 - 1929
46. The Bible Outlined in A Hundred Lessons - J. P. Sewell & G. A. Klingman - 1925
47. What Must I Do to be Saved? - T. B. Larimore, 1918
48. The Soul of Man - Tice Elkins, 1926
49. Chats About China - Mrs. George Benson (S.E. Hockaday), CL Corp 1927
50. Prove All Things - Winifried Fleming, 1927 (rev. & enlar. ed.)
51. God Is - G. A. Klingman, 1929
52. The Church, The Falling Away and the Restoration - J. W. Shepherd, 1929
53. Brewer's Sermons - G. C. Brewer, 1929
54. Oliphant - Smith debate - 1929
55. Companionate Marriage - Brewer-Lindsey Debate, 1928
56. The Man and the Moment - John Allen Hudson, 1927
57. Peter Finwick - John Allen Hudson, 1929
58. Letters to an Orphan - F. L. Rowe, 1911
59. Duties and Beauties of Life - F. L. Rowe, compiler, 1908
60. Gleanings for Young Folks - F. L. Rowe, compiler ?
61. Rudiments of Music - F. Hall,1925
62. Wonderful Story in Song - F. H. Fillmore, ?
63. Gospel Message in Song - Hall and Hall, 1908
64. Redemption's Way in Song - F. Hall, 1911
65. Jesus in Song - Hall and Woodlee, 1915
66. The Cross and Resurrection in Song - Hall and Hall, 1917
67. Ninety and Nine Living Songs - F. Hall, 1922
68. Truth and Hope (in Song) - F. Hall, 1926
69. Song Heart Thrills - F. Hall, 1932
70. New Christian Hymn and Tune Book - J. H. Fillmore, ?
71. Studies in the Life of Christ - R. C. Foster, 1938
72. Radio and Other Sermons - H. H. Adamson, 1945
73. Reminiscences - J. A. Williams, 1898
74. Types and Metaphors of the Bible - J. A. Monser, reprint 1915
75. Christ & the Religious Racketeers - William Grant Burleigh, 1935
76. The Faith of Our Fathers & other gospel messages - William Grant Burleigh, 1936
77. Musings - Fred Dennis, 1936
78. The Great Controversy - Ashley Johnson, revised by M. D. Baumer, 1946
79. The Gospel Plan of Salvation - T. W. Brents, reprint
80. Music in the Worship - H. H. Distelkamp, n.d.
81. Instrumental Music in Worship - J. A. Cullum, n.d.
82. Eunice Loyd - R. N. Moody, 1909
83. Thornton: a Kentucky Story - J. A. Williams, 1900
84. In the 50th Ohio serving Uncle Sam - Erastus Winters, 1905?
85. Christian Science Examined - M. V. Lee, n. d.
86. The Indictment of Eternal Torment - Emery D. Slough, 1914
87. Lectures on the Bible & What is Man? - G. Dallas Smith, n. d.
88. Prayer - G. Dallas Smith, CLCorp, n.d.
89. The Great Crisis in the Life of Christ - Laurence W. Scott, 1908
90. Handbook on Christian Evidence or Facts Against Infidelity - L. W. Scott, 1914
91. Sermons on Revelation - L. S. White, 1917
92. Churches of Today in the Light of Scripture - L. G. Tomlinson, CL Corp. 1927
93. From the Cowcamp to the Pulpit; being 25 years' experience of a Texas evangelist - CL Corp., 1927
94. Eurydice and other poems - Annie McKnight Young,
95. The Quest of a Pearl - Annie McKnight Young, 1925
96. Tant-Frost Debate - 1904
97. Living Memoirs - Charles D. Carter, 1938
98. Osteopathy Illustrated: a drugless system of healing - Andrew P. Davis, 1899
99. Neuropathy, the drugless healing amply illustrated and explained - Andrew P. Davis, 1909
100. Letters to the literal children of Abraham; to the Gentiles, and to the spiritual children of Abraham; with letters of warning to all the world - William Ruble, 1911
101. Church Directory of Churches of Christ in the United States and Canada - E.N. Glenn, comp., 1932
102. Some Family Records of Rev. Edward Payson Whallon - 1934
103. Personal Worker's Handbook - Orlin LeRoy Mankamyer, 1934
104. St. John's Christ, the basis of religious unity - John Brandon Cowden, 1939
105. Spiritual Gifts: their purposes and works - James Edmond Thompson, 1907
106. Campbell-Rice Debate - 1901 reprint
107. Story of the Bible; or the Origin, Fall, and Restoration of Man - Harriet Dudley Knight, 1917
108. Truth and Grace: writings of R.H. Boll - w/ biographical sketch by E. L. Jorgenson, intro. by J.W. Shepherd, 1917
109. A Thesis on Paul's Battle with Incipient Gnosticism - Victor LeRoy Parker, CL Corp1928
110. Health of the Soul - James E. Chessor, CL Corp 1927
111. Gospel in Chart & Sermon - J. J. Limerick, ed. J. F. Rowe, publ., 1897
112. Ebeling-McVey Debate,1906
113. Brewer-Spence Debated, 1916 - On the immortality of the soul.
114. Commentary on the Minor Epistles - N. T. Caton, 1897
115. A Bridge Over the Chasm: from AD 1 to AD 200: Pagan proof that the Christ of the Gospels is a Historical Character - N. T. Caton, 1907
116. A Woman's Discussion with a Digressive - The White-Stevens Debate, 1912.